Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Next Metal Gear Is....?!?!


So, the image you see above is what visitors see when they goto Metal Gear mastermind Hideo Kojima's website. What does it mean? Does the Colonel still need scissors and is he trying to contact us somehow? Is this Fission Mailed for Sony's exclusivity contract on Metal Gear games? Is it MGS4 360, an iPhone Metal Gear game, or Metal Gear Solid on XBLA? My best guess, its all 3. For those sad few who have never before played a Metal Gear game but who own Xbox 360s and/or iPhones, should you even care? Its a tough call. At this point, the game series might be too far along in its existence for strangers to just hitchhike along for the 4th installment. MGS4 has so many internal references which might seem like bizzare inconsistencies or non-sequitors to an outsider. But its this variety and humor thats part of what makes the series unique and so much better than 90% of the generic crap out there - it is the singular product of one visionary individual, for better and worse.

I have no idea if a Metal Gear game would be good on the iPhone, as the PSP metal Gear game had none of the charm and sparkle of its console predecessors, and Im not sold on touch or motion controls, although Im sure its a great business move for Konami and Kojima. I really hope MGS4 comes to the 360 so people who havent invested in PS3s can enjoy stealth-action-gadgetry with non-pareil production values and brain-warping mindfucks. It is definitely one of the best games of 2008, and even if you have never played the series before in your life, the game is certainly worth checking out.

8 comments:

Chronic said...

SRSLY WTF OMG BBQ MGS4 360!!!!

Chronic said...

Check out how far down you have to scroll before you find a review that was less than 100:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/metalgearsolid4gunsofthepatriots

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Kojima.

Please announce that you're working on ZOE 3. It's the only game I'd like to see coming out from Konami's kitchen.

Thank you.

Chronic said...

Yeah I think Kojima wants to make that game but Im not sure Konami wants to give him that much money for a franchise that didnt sell that well in the US. Its just not an important franchise for its biggest customer base. Maybe if Sony paid for exclusivity, Konami would make the game for the PS3.

ZOE is great but you dont care about MGS4 on 360? I think you are criminally underrating just how good Metal Gear Solid 4 is if you dont care about whether it comes to your console of choice.... but everyone who hasnt played through the game basically writes it off as just another stealth shooter..... but you, I really thought you would know better than to do that.....

Chronic said...

Anyway, it was announced that its an iPhone game. Epic Fail, especially for 360 owners.

Anonymous said...

I know mgs 4 is good, heck I would be suprised if it wasn't. But It's not going to be released on 360 for a LOOONG time so... I don't care about it.

I clearly like ZOE better, I finished mgs 3 just once... But beat ZOE 2 countless times. Ok that also counts for the first mgs but back then it was something we had never seen before.
I think I even beat mgs 2 three times, last time I even got everything in the game.

But yes, I do not care about mgs 4 just because I'm not able to play it. ZOE is in my eyes a better franchise worth of purchasing a ps3. It's just a matter of taste...

Anonymous said...

But shit, I know the big picture. mgs just has a bigger production value and customer base then ZOE. But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I hate the exclusiveness of mgs4 too, I guess that's why I don't care about it. I'm sure that, when I start playing that game I would be in an euphoric state. But since it's not available to me I just don't want to think about it.

But why would I buy a ps3 for a ZOE3? Well... huge mechs that move as fast as a ninja... I think I said enough.

Chronic said...

Yeah I hope they make ZOE3. And make it playable online. That would be awesome. There are no good new mech games right now, I can only play so much MechAssault 2.... although Ive heard the ex-FASA guys that made the Mechwarrior universe are regrouping into a new game company with new IPs.....