Thursday, October 23, 2008

Gametrailers Far Cry 2 Review



Yeah, Im a shooter junkie. I never wanted to admit it, but its true. Darth Mikal pointed this out to me. I never went crazy with CoD4 or Halo online, but for years Ive played PC shooters like the Battlefield series, the Star Wars Jedi Knight series, Unreal series, Quake series, etc etc. But now all of the shooters are made for consoles as well as PC, and several of them are actually console exclusive. Who would have thunk it? But here we are in 2008 and shooters rule on consoles, and Im loving it. Even 2D shooters have made a nice resurgence.

The bar for me isnt even that high with these shooting games. Some pretty graphics, good sound, diverse enemies, some quality level design, and hopefully a boss fight here and there or some cool puzzles. If there's multiplayer, thats great too, although the chances are I wont spend too much time with it. FPS games are fun online and all, but I have to say my 4 favorite online console shooters, MechAssault 2, Gears of War, GTA IV, and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, are all 3rd person shooters. With that being said, my anticipation for Gears of War 2 could not be higher, although something like Far Cry 2 looks like it could be a great diversion between now and then. The Gametrailers guys certainly seemed to enjoy it, so I know for a bleary eyed, gaping mouted, drooling shooter junkie like myself, it will be more than enough to entertain me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea, you would begin to think I dislike shooters but that's not really the case. I played my fair share of shooters like the jedi knight series, duke nukem, doom and doom 3, Halo and gears...

I think the setting in shooters is the factor wich makes me like it or not. Because I do dislike shooters that play in WW's, or in present wars. Even if the story is fictional, I just don't want to play these kind of shooters just out of principles.

Also, online communities in shooters just plain suck.

Anonymous said...

They should have mentioned something about animals in their review. What about killing an elephant or something?