Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Hevad Khan - 26 Tabling

So, I recently moved from playing 6-8 online cash tables to 12. Its been a bit of a learning process, but I know that its certainly possible to do, seeing as though Hevad Khan can play 26 tables at once. He actually made this video just to prove to people that he wasnt a bot program. I mean, its possible hes still an android like Data from Star Trek, but at least he looks like a human being. Khan not only dominates online, but live as well, where he finished 6th in the WSOP Main Event, a field of over 6,000 of the world's best players.

The other player who has totally mastered multitabling is Bertrand "Elky" Grospellier, who routinely plays 24 tables of cash online at pokerstars and was the first player ever to reach coveted "Supernova Elite" - an accomplishment so immense many players doubted it could ever be done. It required playing 20+ tables of poker for several hours per day, for a year straight: 1,000,000 FPPs (Pokerstars points) in a calendar year. Now, the site pays him to play in the form of a ridiculous 400% rakeback deal, pays entries for him into several major tournaments, and a complete sponsorship/marketing deal. He also won several large sidebets on who the first player to reach Supernova status would be.

Whats most interesting about these two multitabling experts is their background: both came to the world of online poker from the world of online videogames. In particular, Starcraft. Hevad Khan was a member of Team USA in several international Starcraft events, and Elky is still considered one of the top 20 players in the world - he even moved to South Korea for a few years to persue his pro Starcraft career before taking up poker full time. Something about making fast, efficient decisions that lends itself to both high level RTS play and multitabling online poker. I dont think I will ever earn a millions FPPs or make the final table of the WSOP, but if I can learn to play 12 tables while getting rakeback without going busto, Ill be a very happy man. Maybe it will even help me not get totally pwned when Starcraft 2 finally comes out later this year.

4 comments:

Ubercrunch said...

How long do you anticipate before you're able to navigate your way through sixteen tables?

Chronic said...

I dont see that anytime soon, 12 is plenty, if I can master that Ill be happy. The rakeback alone is well worth it, although I do feel a bit like a bot, lol. Had a nice session tonight, of course lost every tournament I entered but won more than enough to cover it in the cash games.

Friday nights you get the best action, people cash their paycheck and cant wait to gamble. Unfortunately its only once a week., and if you run bad on a Friday you are gonna really REALLY BAD, the variance is a lot higher in the bigger pots.

Also of note, Im trying to learn $.25-.50 HORSE. The game is a lot of fun but I suck so bad at razz its unbelievable. I think I just fold every hand in those rounds.

Just one table of HORSE though. Obviously. lol.

umopapisdnpuaq said...

Out of all 5 I did best at Razz in the big HORSE Tourneys, totally different for cash games though I imagine. Maybe i was over confident because I didn't know the finer points at first and might have missed some danger hands.

Much easier to sit out and fold the one you're not as good at.

Chronic said...

If it aint 3 wheel cards, I just fold it in RAZZ. Thats about all I know.